Beverly Hopkins Poetry Contest for High School Students
Congratulations to our 2022 Winners!
Tenley Hall, Clayton High School
Jelani Penny-Johnson, Metro Academic & Classical High School
This is the Life We Have
Margaret Handley, Nerinx Hall High School
SUBMISSIONS NOW CLOSED
First Prize: $225
Second Prize: $125
Third Prize: $75
Winning poems will be published on Saint Louis Poetry Center’s website.
2022 Contest Judge:
Delightful, mesmerizing, flamboyantly risky, and hilarious are some of the words that critics use to describe the poetry of Srikanth “Chicu” Reddy. He has published three collections to date: Facts for Visitors, Voyager, and Underworld Lit. Reddy is a professor of English and creative writing at the University of Chicago, where he edits the Phoenix Poets book series at the University of Chicago Press. For more information visit srikanthreddypoet.com.
December 1 – March 1
- Open to all high school students in the St. Louis metro area living within a 100-mile radius of St. Louis
- Submit up to 3 typed poems per entry, any form and length
- No manuscripts will be returned
- Poems previously published in high school publications are allowed
- Include name (no pen name required) and email address on each poem
- Enclose a cover sheet that includes: name, address, phone number, email address, high school, grade, teacher’s name (if she/he/they encouraged or assigned the poems), and the titles of the poems submitted
- Contest results will be announced in May
Prize winners and honorable mentions are invited to read their poems at Saint Louis Poetry Center’s annual Poetry Concert.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Email* entries to:
*If submitting entries by email, attach cover sheet & poems as separate Word or PDF documents. Google Drive documents are discouraged.
Mail entries to:
Saint Louis Poetry Center
Hopkins High School Poetry Contest
3301 Washington Ave. # 2D
Saint Louis, MO 63103
EMAIL & POSTMARK DEADLINE: March 1, 2022
Congratulations to our 2021 Winners!
Oviya Srihari, Ladue Horton Watkins High School
Partition as Narrated by an American Daughter
Grace Ruo, Hazelwood West High School
African in America
Cedric Bruges, St. Louis Priory School
Congratulations to our 2020 Winners!
Congratulations to our 2019 Winners!
Megan McGhee, Kirkwood High School
Ann Zhang, John Burroughs School
Doomsday: The Asian Superstore
Rachel Lyu, St. Louis University High School
Untitled (The World After Wine)
Christina Giudici, Nerinx Hall High School
Sarah Corrigan, Visitation Academy
Through the Cracks
Madeline Burns, Parkway West High School
February, in a White Nissan Versa